Thursday, October 20, 2016

decade of what has become.

The decade of my twenties was filled with art school, marriage, work and kids.  The ten years that make up my twenties where each year drastically differs from the next was one big mashup of all things that I have become.  I always thought I'd be in my twenties forever, but we all know that it only lasts 10 years.

During that time, I had quit my job twice at the same company.  I never saw myself permanently fixed to one place and found it quite boring.  The first time I had quit was in 2006.  My mother had become a little sick, but now I think of it, it wasn't big enough to really impact my decision.  Maybe it was just an excuse but I left my first real world job and decided to become a full-time writer slash artist.


My days were spent like so:

I would wake up as my girlfriend went to her job.  I sat in front of the typewriter and begin brainstorming and doing writing exercises.  

Later I would sit in front of the computer and work on some videos.  

I would leave for Kim's Video on St. Mark's Street and rent 3 dvds.  I would come home and watch one of the three films and burn a copy of the other two to watch at a later day.  

After watching the movie, I would sit behind the typewriter again and try to finish 10 pages of a screenplay that I was working on.  I figured that writing 10 pages a day, I would eventually have a solid script in about one month.  



Days were a lot longer then.  I wasn't confined to a set schedule nor did I have to accommodate anyone else's time.  It was just me and my writing.

I ended up writing 3 screenplays but nothing ever materialized from it.  I had made some videos that would get played somewhere but nowhere big.  I started my website www.botheman.com which I still keep updated but by the end of that year, I was back at the job I had left.  I was married and needed a steady form of income.

I've never enjoyed that much solitude since and once in a while, I think back at that year.  Its something that I would unlikely see anytime soon; time just for me and no one else.  No obligations but the ones that I made for myself.  A bit selfish but I think we all need to be at one point or another.

The culmination of the 10 years rolled straight into my 30's.  I sit here a bit puzzled at where the time went but I can only smile at the results.  Just today I pretended to be a girl named Lisa, playing make believe with my six year old daughter.  I would never trade that in for anything, not even a years worth of watching movies, chain smoking and typing stories on my typewriter.



No comments:

Post a Comment